Warning: include_once(/home/kaylward/public_html/poll/poll_cookie.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/kaylward/public_html/2006/05/26/remember.php on line 4

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/kaylward/public_html/poll/poll_cookie.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/kaylward/public_html/2006/05/26/remember.php on line 4

Warning: include_once(/home/kaylward/public_html/slimstat/inc.stats.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/kaylward/public_html/2006/05/26/remember.php on line 7

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/kaylward/public_html/slimstat/inc.stats.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/kaylward/public_html/2006/05/26/remember.php on line 7
Remember - Wizbang
Explosively Unique...

May 26, 2006

Remember

This weekend, in the middle of your cookouts and family trips and other holiday events, don't forget to stop and remember those we honor on Memorial Day. More importantly, take the time to teach your children that the day is about more than barbeque and the beach.

Over the weekend I will be adding to the following list of Memorial Day related links.  Please post links to any other Memorial Day sites, posts or events in the comments section.  I will update the main post periodically through the weekend.

In Remembrance honors those fallen in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Remember those at Arlington at this site, and through these lyrics (if you have not heard the song Arlington before, be sure to click on this one).

CNN is collecting Coming Home stories.

Move America Forward is promoting a Memorial Day Weekend radiothon.

Stop the ACLU is trying to help save the Mt. Soledad Cross War Memorial. More here with video.

LaShawn Barber has a lovely Memorial Day tribute posted.

Michelle Malkin posted a picture that many, including me, ran at Christmas. I had forgotten about it until I saw it at her site, although it is so beautiful that I am surprised it did not come to mind immediately when putting together this post. Michelle also has additional Memorial Day links.

Patriot Files' Hall of Heroes features medal winners from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Matt at Blackfive posted this moving Memorial Day post including a link to the story of his friend, American hero, Mat Schram Be sure to read it all.

Laura Lee Donoho is Remembering CC.

I will be updating this later with some of the sites left in the comments section and received via email and will bump this to the top tomorrow morning. .

By: Lorie Byrd at 09:53 AM | Link | Filed under: Military | Technorati Links | | Trackbacks (12)
All Things Beautiful linked with The Constitution Promises Freedom Of Religion Not Freedom From Religion
Blue Star Chronicles linked with Save Mt. Soledad Cross
Stop The ACLU linked with Memorial Day Weekend Linkfest
Late At Night linked with May You All Have a Blessed Memorial Day!
MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy linked with Memorial Day Weekend
chez Diva linked with Memorial Day Thoughts
Gratuitous Advice linked with On this Memorial Day - Semper Paratus
Right Wing Nut House linked with A FEW MORE TIDBITS FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE
It Shines For All linked with Memorial Day
La Shawn Barber's Corner linked with Memorial Day Reflections
Michelle Malkin linked with REMEMBER
Stop The ACLU linked with Former ACLU Lawyer, Rees Lloyd Leads Battle To Save Mt. Soledad Cross (Video)

Comments:

I attended the funeral last fall of a hometown Marine killed in Iraq. My description and tribute is here.

Also, a list of suggested movies for Memorial Day Weekend is here.

Posted by: Jeff Taylor at May 26, 2006 10:44 AM

you dishonor those who fought and died in the Mexican
war and expeditions. Over 11,000 US dead. They attacked the US and the nativists fought back.

Posted by: dave at May 26, 2006 11:02 AM

I'll be posting several items this weekend. The first is called Where Have All the Heroes Gone?

I'll have a post about Amanda Pinson, and an interview with Navy Cross winner Brian Chontosh.

Posted by: Chuck Simmins at May 26, 2006 12:06 PM

As a retired Soldier, thank you for your support. My tribute to a passing generation is at the link.

"...Word to the Nation: Guard zealously your right to serve in the Armed Forces, for without them, there will be no other rights to guard. - President John F. Kennedy, 1962

Posted by: JD Pendry at May 26, 2006 12:16 PM

"...I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

President Abraham Lincoln"

God bless all of our veterans this Memorial Day.

Posted by: Peter F. at May 26, 2006 12:42 PM

Let us not forget those who have died in the service of their country, but who did so in peacetime. It takes more than the fingers on one hand for me to count the number of people I went to college with who died flying military airplanes -- and not a one of them ever saw combat.

Posted by: diffus at May 26, 2006 12:48 PM

Click here to take another, deeper look at the history behind the Star-Spangled Banner.

Posted by: Granddaddt Long Legs at May 26, 2006 12:57 PM

I have a brief discussion of Decoration Day and Confederate Memorial day up.

Posted by: clark at May 26, 2006 01:22 PM

Here is a shout out to my cousin Jack , a WWII veteran who was at Normandy. Jack was a Jewish Austrian National who just made it out if Austria in the nick of time (another story). He enlisted in the US army and was wounded. While he was convalescing he wrote a letter to Stars and Stripes about how he was a man without a country. He was not an American citizen and of course Austria wanted nothing to do with him. Apparently some bigwigs read the letter and the next week a colonel came to visit Jack and the made him a citizen on the spot.

I would also like to give a shout out my late Uncle Al. I'm not quite sure if this story is germane to the topic but I thought I would share. Uncle Al was a partisan fighter in Chezkoslavakia during WWII. During the war he hooked up with the Russian army and by the end of the war he was a Colonel and was put in charge of some town in Chezkoslavakia (I can't recall right now which it was). During this time his younger brother and sister, who had survived Auschwitz, were trying to get their paper work in order to get Visas to come to America. They were facing a lot of bureaucratic hassles when my Uncle Al came to help. He commandeered a Russian tank and persuaded the bureaucrats to help get the necessary paperwork.

Those are my family stories. I would like to thank all the Veterans out there reading this for keeping me and my family free. Thank you and have a happy healthy Memorial Day.

Posted by: Shtetl G at May 26, 2006 03:56 PM

Great post. I'll be checking out the links. I've written a post entitled "Memorial Day Devotions," and the link is here

Posted by: Rahel B. Avraham at May 26, 2006 04:15 PM

Here's a tribute poem I wrote last year. I'm no poet, but it's heartfelt, and it does rhyme (albeit with a rather elementary structure).

God Bless our Military, and remember the Fallen who've given us the gift of freedom.

A Warriors Flag

Men of virtue, always true
Resonate in a field of blue
With courage reaching far and wide
Alights from the sky in stars of white
But we know why the stripes are red
As we shed a tear and honor our dead

Made with care and thread and needle
It snaps out to show our people
Echoes of heroes, past and present
There, our proudly waving pennant
Our founding fathers, the men in blue
A greatest generation- born anew

As enemies rise to threaten our peace
We look for someone to face the beast
One band is always sure and steady
They step forward, arms at the ready
Our warriors shall heed the call-
To duty, to honor, to serve for all

And when that flag is folded tight
We know a man has left the fight
That small triangle, a nations sorrow
Has moved us toward a brighter tomorrow
We cannot know the families pain
The sacrifice, the pride, the rain
Of tears, but let us say out loud
Of our fallen, we are most proud.

Posted by: douglas at May 26, 2006 04:49 PM

I have a tribute to my late father-in-law, a Naval Aviator in World War ll.

Posted by: Laura Lee Donoho at May 27, 2006 12:28 AM

I put up a tribute today:
the lyrics to the Statler Brothers song,
"More Than A Name On A Wall".

Posted by: Doug at May 27, 2006 02:36 AM

Hi, Lorie! Still love reading your posts no matter where you are ;) Thanks for the touching tribute to our fallen. Those of us who served (and those who didn't) REALLY appreciate it.

Posted by: Falcon05 at May 27, 2006 02:59 AM

I have posted on Memorial Day regarding both my Father and the USCG.....

Duke DeLand, BC-MSN, USCGA Ret.

Posted by: Duke DeLand at May 27, 2006 09:06 AM

I posted an e-mail from the father of a soldier who died in Iraq last year.

Posted by: McGehee at May 27, 2006 09:27 AM