Don’t be breaking out the bubbly to celebrate George Zimmerman’s not guilty verdict, we’re just getting started.
In my anything but humble opinion, this is exactly the result President Obama and the race hustlers who have been caterwauling about this case from day one have been hoping for.
I’m not going to reprise Zimmerman’s case to date, other than to note that the officials on the scene, the police and prosecutors who found no cause for arrest or indictment, were right. This ceased being a criminal case a long time ago and became a political cause célèbre almost immediate. “If I had a son he would look like Trayvon.” pretty much says it all.
George Zimmerman was found not guilty and within minutes of that verdict the cries of outrage from the usual suspects could be heard. Here’s a good summary from the reliably progressive Yahoo! News.
The NAACP, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and other civil rights activists are calling on the U.S. Department of Justice and Attorney Gen. Eric Holder to press federal civil rights charges against George Zimmerman …
“The most fundamental of civil rights — the right to life — was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin,” NAACP President Ben Jealous wrote in a letter to Holder shortly after the verdict was announced. “We ask that the Department of Justice file civil rights charges against Mr. Zimmerman for this egregious violation. Please address the travesties of the tragic death of Trayvon Martin by acting today.”
“This verdict represents a tragic miscarriage of justice,” Barbara Arnwine, president of the Washington, D.C.-based Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said in a statement. “Yet, there is still the potential for justice to be served through a civil suit brought about by Trayvon Martin’s surviving family members, and also through civil rights charges being brought against Mr. Zimmerman by the Department of Justice.”
The Justice Dept. launched a probe of the Zimmerman case earlier this year, but has yet to comment on Zimmerman’s acquittal.
“If we find evidence of a potential federal criminal civil rights crime, we will take appropriate action,” Holder said …
You can expect every Democrat in Congress to sign on for th DoJ to “take appropriate action”, they were lining up last night just after the verdict. The media will be in the march to justice shoulder-to-shoulder with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, MSNBC ran wall to wall coverage last night about the “travesty” of the verdict and an AP reporter represented AP with a tweet “So we can all kill teenagers now? Just checking.”
Here’s what I think is likely to happen over the coming weeks.
- The Obama administration will drag out the “probe” of Zimmerman for several weeks. This will give them time to coordinate demonstrations and outcry from across the country. The demonstrations will be front page/first story on every major newspaper/TV network news broadcast and will suck the oxygen out of “news”.
- The DoJ will file civil rights charges against Zimmerman.
- Martin’s family will file a civil suit against Zimmerman for “wrongful death”. A civil suit carries a much lower burden of proof – preponderance of the evidence – than a criminal trial – reasonable doubt – and Martin’s family will be represented pro-bono by very high powered civil attorneys, not the collective doofuses that prosecuted Zimmerman. Add to that the concept that “facts” won’t matter in a civil case they’ll have pictures of 12 year old Trayvon plastered all over the media, this one will hinge solely on emotion. Just like the Goldman family’s suit against OJ, which they won hands down.
- Concurrent with the DoJ’s civil rights charges we will be deluged reminders of the 1964 civil rights charges filed by Robert Kennedy in the Mississippi Burning case where three civil rights workers were murdered by the Mississippi KKK. We will hear over and over about how the state would never have brought the murderers to justice without the federal civil rights case and they will use that to justify prosecuting Zimmerman on federal charges.
- The victim community, led by Jackson, Sharpton, the NAACP and the media, will use that same theme to press for new civil rights legislation because we are obviously the same racist nation we were in 1964.
- Expect to see a groundswell demanding gun registration, much stricter background checks for concealed carry permits, elimination of “Stand Your Ground” and “Castle Doctrine” laws and strict regulation of “Neighborhood Watch” groups.
This will absolutely be the only focus of the media for at least the next 18 months. You can forget seeing anything about the Obama foreign policy disaster in the Middle East, forget NSA and the European melt down over US spying, forget that countries around the world now hate the US (and don’t fear us) at an all time high.
Forget the IRS going after political opponents – after all, the Zimmerman verdict proves they’re racists anyway. Forget oversight of NSA snooping. Fast & Furious will be remembered as nothing but a bunch of movies. Immigration? More evidence of racism. Calls for fiscal restraint? More evidence of racism.
Trayvon Martin is the gift that will keep giving to Democrats in general and Barack Obama in particular at least through the 2014 election cycle.
“If I had a son he’d look like Trayvon.” And this President wouldn’t bat a eyelash over the fact that “his son” is a dead gangsta wannabe who simply jumped the wrong guy and got what he deserved. After all, his death may well resurrect the President’s failed agenda.