From the New York Daily News:
WASHINGTON — President Trump signed an executive order on Monday reinstating a ban on travelers from six Muslim-majority countries and suspending all new refugee visas, in hopes it can withstand a court battle that stymied his original ban.
The new ban, which will go into place March 16, has the same basic structure of the one that was rushed through on Jan. 27 and quickly suspended by the courts. But it doesn’t include some of the most controversial and unworkable parts of the original executive order.
Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said the new ban would “make America more secure and address long-overdue concerns about the security of our immigration system.
“We must undertake a rigorous review of our visa and refugee vetting programs to increase our confidence in the decisions we make,” he said.
The new executive order’s key provisions remain largely the same: A 90-day ban on travelers from six countries who do not obtain a visa before March 16, a 120-day suspension on the country’s entire refugee entry program, and a dramatic curtailing in the number of overall refugees from 110,000 last year to 50,000 in this year.
But the administration made some significant changes in the new order and revoked the original ban even as administration officials continue to insist that it was constitutional.
Iraq has been removed from the list of banned countries after negotiations with the Iraqi government to tighten screening procedures of refugees, and Syrian refugees are no longer permanently banned. Language singling out exemptions for religious minorities has been removed. The ban won’t go into place immediately, allowing for better coordination in its implementation. Travelers from the banned countries who have valid visas or green cards as of March 16 will be specifically exempted from the ban, whereas the first one lacked that language and sowed chaos as a result.