NBC's Brian Williams thinks a comparison between our founding fathers and the Islamic terrorists we're fighting in Iraq is an issue worth debating.
Let's highlight just a few of the major differences between the terrorists in Iraq and the revolutionaries who founded this country, shall we?.
- Our founding fathers organized an army of men and met the British army on the field of battle. The terrorists pose as citizens and hide behind their women and children.
- Our founding fathers never chopped the heads off captive British soldiers or civilians.
- Our founding fathers fought, in part, for the freedom to practice religion openly. The terrorists are fighting to force their brand of religious dogma down the throats of everybody else.
- Our founding fathers never targeted civilians with suicide attacks. Suicide attacks, especially those using brainwashed women and children, are the bread and butter of the terrorists.
- The terrorists are fighting against the spread of freedom. Our founding fathers fought against an oppressive British regime to spread freedom.
And, perhaps most importantly:
Despite what Brian Williams thinks, I don't believe this is an issue worth debating. The comparisons aren't even remotely apt and even engaging in the discussion lends a semblance of legitimacy to the murderous, fascist tyrants we're fighting in Iraq and around the world.
(via Ankle Biting Pundits)
Rob Port is the owner and operator of Say Anything.