There's been a lot of chatter on liberal blogs about the arrest of Department of Homeland Security deputy press secretary Brian Doyle on charges that he was soliciting sex from a 14-year-old girl over the Internet. Most of it involves heaping generous portions of blame on the Bush administration. Here's a quick sampling...
John Aravosis at AMERICAblog:
- Jesus Christ. Do these people vet ANYBODY? And lest anyone suggest that Brian Doyle is simply some two-bit low-level functionary at Homeland Security, just Google him - his name is all over EVERYTHING Homeland Security does because HE'S THEIR SPOKESMAN.
At TPM Muckraker they wonder:
- So: if this guy, Brian Doyle, the accused child sex solicitor, is in fact guilty, he was right there under their noses the whole time.
DailyKos, frontpage poster DarkSyde includes Doyle in Republican Family Values?
- With all the speculation, rumors, accusations and criticism in the media and blogosphere, investigations, arrests, indictments, and guilty pleas of Republicans these days, every now and then it's good to consult an updated program. Programs, get yer programs, can't tell your hearsay from your alleged Republican perps from your alleged Republican pervs without a program.
And from another DKos poster:
- This case of the arrest of Bush appiontee Brian J. Doyle of U.S. Department of Homeland Security for sex crimes is nothing new. Aren't all those Republicans that way?
- Apparently, this was not one isolated chat -- he had gone to great lengths to court the "girl" over a period of time. News stories do not specify his party registration, but one may easily guess.
Of course there's the usual nonsense at DU
- [D]o these people do any qualifications checks on the folks they hire - or is it all about giving some crony a campaign contribution?
And the comment section at Think Progress starts off with this:
- More Republican family values from this administration? Can't wait to learn more about Mr. Doyle. I'm sure he was well vetted by this administration. Heckofajob Bushie.
And finally Wonkette asks:
- Now we'd like some help from you, our readers - specifically, those of you who know or have worked with Brian Doyle. ...If you have any Doyle dirt to dish, please contact us. Thanks in advance for your tidbits!
We'll take up that challenge, but you'll have to check back here later today to see what we've found...
Update: Here's a hint... DHS Child Sex Sting Official Is A Democrat