« Those who violate US immigration laws more likely to violate other laws | Main | Handicapping American Idol III »

Throw the book at them

Yesterday, I wrote about the plight of some illegal aliens and their children who were rounded up in a raid on a leather goods factory. A lot of people are concerned about the detained people's children, who are apparently being used as emotional blackmail against those who believe that laws ought to be enforced every now and then.

But there was a lot more to the story that I didn't go into yesterday.

The workers were employed at a leather goods factory, Michael Bianco Inc., and were busy making backpacks and safety vests for the US military.

One caller into a Boston talk show brought up an interesting point:

1) The company had a contract to produce goods for the military.

2) Under the terms of the contract, they agreed to abide by existing labor laws and pay their workers a certain rate.

3) The owners instead hired illegal aliens for substantially less money.

Could it be possible to prosecute the owners for war profiteering?

If not that, then there certainly have to be some sort of penalty clause in that contract for such a clear, flagrant violation. And I hope the prosecutors push it as far as they can.

I oppose illegal aliens, but I am not blind. It's largely a matter of supply and demand. If businesses didn't have such a demand for illegal aliens, then there wouldn't be as much of a supply. Going after the employers of illegal aliens is certainly a key step towards fixing the problem -- and these scum who ran the Michael Bianco Inc. factory ought to be made examples.

Comments (29)

I agree. Actually I had ju... (Below threshold)
Heralder:

I agree. Actually I had just posted my thoughts about this in the thread below.

Want corporations to be goo... (Below threshold)

Want corporations to be good citizens? If so, put an occasional CEO in prison for this crap. What we've done in the past is fine the company which only penalizes the shareholders who usually have no way of knowing whether a company has illegals in their sweatshop. If we want to stop the flow of people over borders we need to hammer those who hire the illegals. Folks like our president (who I normally support) trot out a lame line about them doing jobs Americans won't do. BS! Americans will do those jobs. We just won't do those jobs for $5 a day. Put Bianco's board of directors, CEO, CFO, and their VP's into prison and other companies will think about obeying the law.

"We just won't do those job... (Below threshold)
yo:

"We just won't do those jobs for $5 a day."

Exactly.

The best way to get these c... (Below threshold)
Matt:

The best way to get these companies officers is probably putting the IRS, Social Security Administration etc on them. I am sure they aren't witholding the proper amounts of taxes, healthcare premiums etc. Maybe the state could pursue them for the same thing.

Although I am originally fr... (Below threshold)
WildWillie:

Although I am originally from Philedelphia;I have been in Texas for more then 30 years. The Northeast may have a problem with illegals, but Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California is saturated. Every county is overburdened with medical, infectious diseases and such. Schools are mobbed plus the free breakfast and lunch. Crime is up as is gang activity. What do our political leaders do? Nothing. Nothing at all. ww

There are no longer laws ag... (Below threshold)
David:

There are no longer laws against "war profiteering" (thank goodness). However, there are any number of other laws that may apply: the Fair Labor Standards Act, for one. And if the contract was cost-reimbursible (unlikely, given the nature of the commodity being bought), and the government was actually overbilled, there are laws about that (which have nothing to do with labor rates per se, of course).

I doubt the owners, CEO's e... (Below threshold)
Allen:

I doubt the owners, CEO's etc will ever be fined their own money, (except private owned), no will they do any jail time. They all donate money to the Demo's and Repug parties. And our elected employees will not cut their own rice bowl out.

The illegal immigration pro... (Below threshold)
JOHN RYAN:

John Ryan,<blockquote... (Below threshold)
Heralder:

John Ryan,

THIS JUST IN: Mexico is South of the United States.

"Southern California is s... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

"Southern California is saturated."

What the hell are ya talking about? There's no stinking problem here.

From the L.A. Times

1. 40% of all workers in L.A.County ( L.A.County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 25% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los AngelesCounty are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L.A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L.A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish. (There are 10.2 million people in L.A.County ).

(All of the above are from the Los Angeles Times)
Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare.
Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida , and New York ) results from immigration.

29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

We are a bunch of fools for letting this continue.

UNITED WE STAND - GOD BLESS AMERICA

"John Ryan, The... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

"John Ryan,

THIS JUST IN: Mexico is South of the United States."

Posted by: Heralder at March 9, 2007 01:28 PM

What a pendejo.

Wait, what?Republica... (Below threshold)
John Irving:

Wait, what?
Republicans control Southern California?

John Ryan: Let me explain g... (Below threshold)
WildWillie:

John Ryan: Let me explain government 101 to you. Enforcing immigration laws is done through the FEDERAL government. ww

No, no no no..noo Senio... (Below threshold)
RobLACa.:

No, no no no..noo Senior.

From the L.A. Times<... (Below threshold)
mantis:

From the L.A. Times

Hey Rob, did you know gullible isn't in the dictionary?

I find it entirely unsurprising that you believe everything that ends up in your email inbox. Hey, I know some Nigerians who have a fortune they're trying to get out of the country. They need your help!

JT, the Providence Journal ... (Below threshold)
tas:

JT, the Providence Journal reported yesterday, and again today, that because of Bianco Inc.'s large ($170 million) contract to produce military clothing, there was an on-site office for an inspector from the Department of Defense. So besides the owners purposely hiring illegals to pay them a low wage and have them work in, quite frankly, sh-t conditions, this was all done with the knowledge of at least one employee of the federal government. I'm surprised that this aspect of the story hasn't received more coverage.

What makes you think thi... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

What makes you think this came from my "inbox" ?

What makes you think thi... (Below threshold)
mantis:

What makes you think this came from my "inbox" ?

As if it makes a difference.

What makes you think t... (Below threshold)
marc:

What makes you think this came from my "inbox" ?
Posted by: Rob LA Ca. at March 9, 2007 03:49 PM

But that's been the case for a long time.

"What makes you think this... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

"What makes you think this came from my "inbox" ?
Posted by: Rob LA Ca. at March 9, 2007 03:49 PM

But that's been the case for a long time.

Posted by: marc at March 9, 2007 04:54 PM "

And who the hell are you?

And who the hell are yo... (Below threshold)
marc:

And who the hell are you?
Posted by: Rob LA Ca. at March 9, 2007 06:11 PM

Someone who desires legit debate, not one filled with childish name calling like you do, and many others from both sides, on far too many occasions.

Why do you make a point of where you get the quotes you provided?

Whether they were in your inbox or gotten somewhere else it doesn't take a genius to look at your quotes and those provided by mantis to ascertain what you gave was absolute tripe and of zero value to the discussion.

"Why do you make a point of... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

"Why do you make a point of where you get the quotes you provided?"

I made a point? I made it a point of where I got the quotes? You need to go back and reread a bit.

"What makes you think this came from my "inbox"
Posted by: Rob LA Ca. at March 9, 2007 03:49 PM"

Marc, You don't have a damn clue why I asked Mantis and it's none of your damn business.

"Give it up, you're embarrassing yourself. And the rest of us that lean to the right side of the aisle.

But that's been the case for a long time.

Posted by: marc at March 9, 2007 04:54 PM "

Embarrassing Myself? How so?

"what you gave was absolute tripe and of zero value to the discussion."

Really? You might want to ask around before you assume to speak for those on the right. I have made it perfectly clear on many ocasions that I speak for myself and my coments are mine alone and not to be attributed to Wizbag whatsoever.

And as far as your comment about the quotes being "absolute tripe and of zero value to the discussion."
Doesn't sound like "Someone who desires legit debate" or one capable of it. Explain why it is such tripe. Then explain how it didn't follow the discussion or wasn't a legit response the this previous post.

Posted by: JOHN RYAN at March 9, 2007 01:23 PM"

If you can't see that my post was intended to and does contradict what John Ryan posted , your not very bright at all. So I'll help you out here.

"South where Republicans are largely in control."

He is refering to San Diego and maybe even as far as Orange County. However Los Angeles is in Southern California , ya know like USC, University of Southern California? It is also the heart of the Illegal Immigration problem with the highest population of illegals on the planet. And this is a liberal cesspool and the claim of Republicans are largely in charge can one to die of laughter.

My entire family are Americans of Latino decent and not one relative lives in Mexico. I was raised speaking both languages You still want to debate? anyone else want to call me a bigot or a racist because I don't wan't any illegal immigrant of any race breaking into my Country ?

"Why do you make a point of... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

"Why do you make a point of where you get the quotes you provided?"

"What makes you think this came from my "inbox"
Posted by: Rob LA Ca. at March 9, 2007 03:49 PM"

But that's been the case for a long time.

Posted by: marc at March 9, 2007 04:54 PM "

Embarrassing Myself? How so?

"what you gave was absolute tripe and of zero value to the discussion."

Posted by: JOHN RYAN at March 9, 2007 01:23 PM"

"South where Republicans are largely in control."

"Why do you make a point of... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

"Why do you make a point of where you get the quotes you provided?"

"What makes you think this came from my "inbox"
Posted by: Rob LA Ca. at March 9, 2007 03:49 PM"

But that's been the case for a long time.

Posted by: marc at March 9, 2007 04:54 PM "

Embarrassing Myself? How so?

"what you gave was absolute tripe and of zero value to the discussion."

Posted by: JOHN RYAN at March 9, 2007 01:23 PM"

"South where Republicans are largely in control."

That triple post wasn't ... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

That triple post wasn't intentional , wireless is screwing up.

Must be the illegals crawli... (Below threshold)
epador:

Must be the illegals crawling over the wire(less).

83% of all wireless downtim... (Below threshold)
mantis:

83% of all wireless downtime is caused by illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal.

Per the LA Times, of course.

You sure like making an a... (Below threshold)
Rob LA Ca.:

You sure like making an ass of yourself don't ya?

"I find it entirely unsurprising that you believe everything that ends up in your email inbox"

Like an ass you sure do ASSume alot.I respond to J Ryans post: "The illegal immigration problem is centered in the South where Republicans are largely in control."

Republicans in charge of Los Angeles ? Mantis are you stupid or just being a full time asshole.

Guys, they are illegal; the... (Below threshold)
Wetbackhaitian:

Guys, they are illegal; they are subject to deportation. Let's leave it at that. Name throwing and false statistics are unecessary.

Besides, with the Prez, Minority and Majority Leaders in the Senate, Minority Leader in the House, and every presidental candidate in both partes (save Tancredo and Hunter) for CIR chances for the bill not passing is miniscule.

If we were serious about illegal immigration we would have set that issue as a standard in deciding our Republican elected officals.

How Bush was elected president twice DESPITE his views on immigration is an indictment on all of us. Ditto for our presidental candidates: McCain, Mayor G., & Romney.

Regardless of what does or doesn not happen this year, next year, we are sure to have a president to the left of Bush regarding this issue be it Queen Hilary or McLame.

Advertisements

rightads.gif

beltwaybloggers.gif

insiderslogo.jpg

mba_blue.gif

Follow Wizbang on FacebookFollow Wizbang on TwitterSubscribe to Wizbang feedWizbang Mobile

Contact

Send e-mail tips to us:

[email protected]

Fresh Links

Credits

Section Editor: Maggie Whitton

Editors: Jay Tea, Lorie Byrd, Kim Priestap, DJ Drummond, Michael Laprarie, Baron Von Ottomatic, Shawn Mallow, Rick, Dan Karipides, Michael Avitablile, Charlie Quidnunc, Steve Schippert

Emeritus: Paul, Mary Katherine Ham, Jim Addison, Alexander K. McClure, Cassy Fiano, Bill Jempty, John Stansbury, Rob Port

In Memorium: HughS

All original content copyright © 2003-2010 by Wizbang®, LLC. All rights reserved. Wizbang® is a registered service mark.

Powered by Movable Type Pro 4.361

Hosting by ServInt

Ratings on this site are powered by the Ajax Ratings Pro plugin for Movable Type.

Search on this site is powered by the FastSearch plugin for Movable Type.

Blogrolls on this site are powered by the MT-Blogroll.

Temporary site design is based on Cutline and Cutline for MT. Graphics by Apothegm Designs.

Author Login