« Sarah Palin Makes Surprise Visit on the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien | Main | Strange Spiral Light Show Over Norway »

CNN: Fair and Balanced?

I think not. Ann Althouse notes a horrible example of media bias over at CNN. Read her whole post for more details, but here's the main evidence. Al Qaeda released a statement that contained the following text.

"We express our condolences to the families of the Muslim men, women and children killed in these criminal acts and we ask Allah to have mercy on those killed and accept them as shohadaa (martyrs)...

"We also express the same in regard to the unintended Muslim victims of the mujahedeen's operations against the crusaders and their allies and puppets, and to the countless faceless and nameless Muslim victims of the murderous crusades..."

After including this text, the CNN author makes the following observations:
Adam Gadahn, also known as Azzam the American, appeared in a 17-minute video released on Islamist online forums late Friday, offering condolences to the families of innocent people killed in al Qaeda attacks....

It is a rare example of al Qaeda offering condolences to the families of those killed in the group's own attacks.

Staggeringly unbelievable. So a known terrorist (who goes on to condemn America later) says he is sorry Muslims died as they were slaughtering other innocent people and CNN as a "rare example of offering condolences".

Althouse goes on to slam CNN and I'll just direct you there. Media bias is very common. Common approaches include repeating the talking points of a political entity as fact, including the opinion of the author as fact, and filtering only negative stories about a despised subject, to name a few. But an example where a quote says one thing and the analysis says the exact opposite in the same article is a rare treat.

The scope of CNN's bias truly knows no bounds.


TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/37560.

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference CNN: Fair and Balanced?:

» Pirate's Cove linked with Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup

Comments (24)

"Staggeringly unbelievab... (Below threshold)
Victory is Ours:

"Staggeringly unbelievable. So a known terrorist (who goes on to condemn America later) says he is sorry Muslims died as they were slaughtering other innocent people and CNN as a "rare example of offering condolences". "

"Staggeringly unbelieveable" only to an echo-chamber grunt with a first-grade understanding of the english language.

The phrase "rare example of offering condolences" is a factual statement. The CNN writer is stating a fact, not praising - just stating the fact that condolences (that means apology) are rare.

Rare means "unusual" - not special or praiseworthy.

Vic

Another reason why CNN's ra... (Below threshold)
Michael:

Another reason why CNN's ratings are collapsing.

VIC is a assclown.

Ok Vic, then tell me why th... (Below threshold)
Upset Old Guy:

Ok Vic, then tell me why this "rare example" is even worth mentioning if it's not to try to engender some positive "spin" for al Qaeda. I mean, if it almost never happens, why even acknowledge it?

Vic, I've said this before,... (Below threshold)

Vic, I've said this before, I'll say it now again just to ensure you get the message. You need to change the tone of your comments. I will not tolerate it for much longer.

That said, try actually reading the story and Althouse's post before commenting. Your comments completely miss the point. The press release did not offer condolences to innocent victims. They offer only condolences to Muslims. They in fact cheered the death of all other innocent people involved.

Unless you, like CNN, don't consider anyone killed by terrorists innocent unless they are Muslim?

Sorry Dan, but my opinion h... (Below threshold)
Victory is Ours:

Sorry Dan, but my opinion hasn't changed. I stand by my comment #1.

You claim CNN is showing bias by reporting facts, I say reporting the fact that this is a "rare example of offering condolences" is exactly what they are supposed to do.

If you have some other reason for claiming CNN is biased feel free to report on it, but in my opinion the quote you used to support your claim that CNN is biased is bullshit.

"You need to change the tone of your comments. I will not tolerate it for much longer."

see comment #2. I assume the concern about tone extends to someone other than people who disagree with you -- true?

Vic

VIC you a assclown and one ... (Below threshold)
Michael:

VIC you a assclown and one very sick person...but then most libs are.

No, Vic, most people here d... (Below threshold)
bobdog:

No, Vic, most people here don't disagree with Dan. They just disagree with you.

I see nothing in Dan's story that doesn't ring true. But then again, I don't recall you ever agreeing with anything else here, ever. You seem to get a kick out of flinging poo on just about every thread you post on with a resentful and condescending tone that I find personally offensive. I think others here feel the same way.

When you conclude that you're surrounded by idiots, and everybody is stupid and inferior except you, which you apparently do, most people would simply move on.

I can't force you to leave, but I am suggesting it.

VIC is a spoon. His purpos... (Below threshold)
Mac Lorry:

VIC is a spoon. His purpose is to stir the pot. Once you understand that you can put his comments into perspective.

This isn't merely spin, whi... (Below threshold)
JB:

This isn't merely spin, which typically takes unknown or unknowable facts of a situation and fills the vacuum with the most favorable explanation.

This is outright telling of half-truths, which as we know are the same as lying.

CNN are LIARS, and Vic is a tool.

VIC is a spoon. Hi... (Below threshold)
Brett:
VIC is a spoon. His purpose is to stir the pot. Once you understand that you can put his comments into perspective.

Well, I knew he was a tool of some sort.

And frankly, while it has blatantly obvious from the start that his "function" seems to be to randomly lash out and spout the latest off-topic non-sequiter, I fail to see why we should have to put up with someone that offers no actual content or commentary. I can live with people of differing opinions and can even respect those that make clear and rational points of argument even if I think they are wrong. I don't see any reason to accommodate people like Vic or take their "contributions" in perspective.

> Sorry Dan, but my opinion... (Below threshold)

> Sorry Dan, but my opinion hasn't changed. I
> stand by my comment #1.
>
> You claim CNN is showing bias by reporting
> facts, I say reporting the fact that this is
> a "rare example of offering condolences" is
> exactly what they are supposed to do.

This is much better Vic. I'm fine with people disagreeing with me. All I ask is that you please do so politely. Thank you for changing your tone.

Saying "I don't think you are correct" is just fine. Using the tone in your first comment is not acceptable. I'm glad we understand each other.

I fail to see why ... (Below threshold)
Mac Lorry:
I fail to see why we should have to put up with someone that offers no actual content or commentary.

Blogs not only serve to inform, stimulate debate, and hone opinion, but also to entertain. Just as European monarchs employed jesters, jokers, fools, and buffoons, so too internet blogs enjoy the services of VIC and his ilk.

So what? So what if CNN is ... (Below threshold)
Victory is Mao's:

So what? So what if CNN is biased towards Muslims? You sons of pigs and dogs neocon filth have Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. If Muslims don't consider any non-Muslims to be innocent, so what business is it of yours? Besides, CNN has a reason to be afraid. Azzam the American can order a suicide bombing of them any day he wants much the same as Vic will bring a squad of SEIU thugs to visit your home any day now, Dan.

Peace be upon you in the name of the Prophet, Vic. You are a good dhimmi.

"Ok Vic, then tell me wh... (Below threshold)
Victory is Ours:

"Ok Vic, then tell me why this "rare example" is even worth mentioning if it's not to try to engender some positive "spin" for al Qaeda. I mean, if it almost never happens, why even acknowledge it?"

Because it's "news" - and CNN is the Cable "News" Network.

If Satan was handing out free ice cream that would be "news" also - bur reporting the fact that Satan rarely hands out gifts is not praise or bias.

You guys must be used to watching "news" on the Fox "News" Channel where they frequently report biased right wing opinions in place of news. Therefore you want to know why CNN is reporting a fact that you don't like... must be a lefty thing, right?

Nope, it's because it's news. You guys just need a damn dictionary so you can look up the word "news" - you clearly have no clue and have lost the definition.

Vic

Reread the article. Read t... (Below threshold)

Reread the article. Read the analysis by Althouse. Many are missing the point. Of course CNN should cover the news. They should also do so without bias.

If you are having trouble understanding the bias (and that is baffling) here is a simple made-up example.

George Bush travels to California and says "I love people that agree with me, but if you don't agree with me I hope you burn in hell." FOXNews covers the trip with the headline "Bush brings a message of love to California." That would be biased reporting.

And it is exactly what CNN did. The Al Qaeda rep was sorry for killing Muslims but happy that Americans were dying. CNN reported that as "Al Qaeda shows compassion".

The rarity of the event is not the point.

CNN also hid what Saadam wa... (Below threshold)
GarandFan:

CNN also hid what Saadam was doing to maintain power in Iraq. They KNEW but didn't want to lose their access inside the country. Sort of like a certain "reporter" for the NYT who sang the praises of Stalin. He even got a Pulitzer out of it.

Look, guys and gals, VIO ha... (Below threshold)
epador:

Look, guys and gals, VIO has never shown any ability to use logic or make appropriate inference. Period. So you are wasting electrons and ATP in your finger muscles typing away in attempts to illuminate or discuss with this person. Dan HAS drawn a line in the sand on tone and verbiage, which it appears VIO understands, a little, having suffered repeated hammer blows to the ISP in previous e-lives. This, I will have to say, is the only entertainment value of VIO comments: when will the line be stepped over and the Hammer drop yet again? I suppose we could set up a pool...

vic "You guys must be ... (Below threshold)
Marc:

vic "You guys must be used to watching "news" on the Fox "News" Channel where they frequently report biased right wing opinions in place of news."

Your examples are....?

With link.

CNN is almost as biased as ... (Below threshold)
914:

CNN is almost as biased as VIC.

CNN fair and balanced? I c... (Below threshold)
poptoy:

CNN fair and balanced? I can't stop laughing.

CNN is just 1984 government... (Below threshold)
CottonMan:

CNN is just 1984 government run 'news'. They have been that way since President Clint was impeached. Just watched 1984 again & you may want to because it's now showing all the bad that is happening in America....i.e. loss of freedoms & government tyranny.

CNN would probably go out o... (Below threshold)
Greg:

CNN would probably go out of business if they didn't have a lock on airport TVs. Even when I travel to Atlanta, the hotel TVs are on FOX now. CNN International is a disgrace. They are basically anti-American. When you are out of the country, it's either them or the BBC for English speaking news and they are both biased. FOX news is currently the best news reporting on TV. That's "news", vic, not the opinion shows. Of course, vic will be listening to Diane Sawyer now. You know, top notch reporting.

The COMMUNISTS.NEWS.NETWORK... (Below threshold)
Flu-Bird:

The COMMUNISTS.NEWS.NETWORK is owned by RED TED TURNER and mananaged by BIG BAD WOLF BLITZER

Dan Karipides #15, Thank yo... (Below threshold)
LKYPRL:

Dan Karipides #15, Thank you for your very inspired example of media bias. I thought it went right to the point of this discussion but, alas, some people STILL don't get it.




Advertisements









rightads.gif

beltwaybloggers.gif

insiderslogo.jpg

mba_blue.gif

Follow Wizbang

Follow Wizbang on FacebookFollow Wizbang on TwitterSubscribe to Wizbang feedWizbang Mobile

Contact

Send e-mail tips to us:

[email protected]

Fresh Links

Credits

Section Editor: Maggie Whitton

Editors: Jay Tea, Lorie Byrd, Kim Priestap, DJ Drummond, Michael Laprarie, Baron Von Ottomatic, Shawn Mallow, Rick, Dan Karipides, Michael Avitablile, Charlie Quidnunc, Steve Schippert

Emeritus: Paul, Mary Katherine Ham, Jim Addison, Alexander K. McClure, Cassy Fiano, Bill Jempty, John Stansbury, Rob Port

In Memorium: HughS

All original content copyright © 2003-2010 by Wizbang®, LLC. All rights reserved. Wizbang® is a registered service mark.

Powered by Movable Type Pro 4.361

Hosting by ServInt

Ratings on this site are powered by the Ajax Ratings Pro plugin for Movable Type.

Search on this site is powered by the FastSearch plugin for Movable Type.

Blogrolls on this site are powered by the MT-Blogroll.

Temporary site design is based on Cutline and Cutline for MT. Graphics by Apothegm Designs.

Author Login



Terms Of Service

DCMA Compliance Notice

Privacy Policy