« Heath Ledger Died of Accidental Prescription Drug Overdose | Main | Supporting the GOP Nominee »

Things not to do at home

Like cleaning your hands with gasoline near a stove.

POMPANO BEACH - A woman's trailer burned to the ground when she tried to clean her hands with gasoline and left the gas can on a stove with an open flame.

The 45-year-old woman had been painting inside her trailer about 2 p.m. in the 200 block of Northeast 25th Avenue when she decided to clean her hands with the gasoline, said Sandra King, spokeswoman for Pompano Beach Fire-Rescue. The woman placed the can of gasoline on a stove with a lit pilot and it ignited, she said.

The woman escaped with minor burns to her hands and was treated at the scene. The trailer was destroyed.

"One should never use gasoline as a cleaning solvent - ever - near an open flame because it gives off flammable vapors," King said.

The woman apparently never watched or forgot all those television shows or movies where gasoline easily catches on fire or tanks of it blow up. I'm only two years older, and I have no trouble forgetting.

She survived, so no Darwin award nominee for the homeowner.


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments (7)

Somehow, I think Madge from... (Below threshold)
kbiel Author Profile Page:

Somehow, I think Madge from the Palmolive commercials would disapprove.

As Rosy would say "This is ... (Below threshold)

As Rosy would say "This is the first time in the history of the world that open flame ignited gasoline. Come on people, don't you realize that it was really George Bush who burned down that trailer."

This reminds me of a story ... (Below threshold)

This reminds me of a story my dad told us. He was a cop in NYC during the 50's - late 70's.
They got a call of a gas leak so they went to make sure everyone evacuates the building. They were being followed by firefighters and someone from the gas company. They get to one apartment that smelled particularly strong of automobile gasoline. They figured they had a firebug so they busted down the down to find the renter in there, radio blasting in the bathroom while he cleaned oily rags in his bathtub with five gallons of gas. After they convinced him to put his cigarette out, he told them that it was fine because the window was open.
I could just imagine the guy sitting there with his zippo and the cigarette hanging from his lip.

Should stuck with SOAP and ... (Below threshold)
Spurwing Plover:

Should stuck with SOAP and WATER its safer then gasoline

Pompano trailer park,... yu... (Below threshold)

Pompano trailer park,... yup.

Its not that the gas is flammable, the fumes are VERY flammable.

She should have stuck with ... (Below threshold)
Spurwing Plover:

She should have stuck with SOAP and WATER

sounds like the gene pool n... (Below threshold)

sounds like the gene pool needs chlorene.






Follow Wizbang

Follow Wizbang on FacebookFollow Wizbang on TwitterSubscribe to Wizbang feedWizbang Mobile


Send e-mail tips to us:

[email protected]

Fresh Links


Section Editor: Maggie Whitton

Editors: Jay Tea, Lorie Byrd, Kim Priestap, DJ Drummond, Michael Laprarie, Baron Von Ottomatic, Shawn Mallow, Rick, Dan Karipides, Michael Avitablile, Charlie Quidnunc, Steve Schippert

Emeritus: Paul, Mary Katherine Ham, Jim Addison, Alexander K. McClure, Cassy Fiano, Bill Jempty, John Stansbury, Rob Port

In Memorium: HughS

All original content copyright © 2003-2010 by Wizbang®, LLC. All rights reserved. Wizbang® is a registered service mark.

Powered by Movable Type Pro 4.361

Hosting by ServInt

Ratings on this site are powered by the Ajax Ratings Pro plugin for Movable Type.

Search on this site is powered by the FastSearch plugin for Movable Type.

Blogrolls on this site are powered by the MT-Blogroll.

Temporary site design is based on Cutline and Cutline for MT. Graphics by Apothegm Designs.

Author Login

Terms Of Service

DCMA Compliance Notice

Privacy Policy