Just heard through the D.C. grapevine that Sandra Day O’Connor just retired. Very reliable source. I’ll try to find more.
Update: Yep, Fox News is going with it, live at the Supreme Court. They have it from “three separate sources that the resignation of Sandra Day O’Connor is imminent.”
Man your battle stations, folks. I’m right outside the city in Arlington right now, but I can hear blood pressures rising from here. A fight to replace a Supreme Court swing vote. This is gonna be a fight for the ages.
Update 2: I love it that she turned in her resignation on a Friday before a holiday weekend. Half of Washington (and certainly most of the Members) are outta here already. Supreme Court justices– they’re not just above the Constitution; they’re above the D.C. news cycle too! The nerve.
Update 3: Fox News has a copy of the resignation letter addressed to President Bush. Bush statement in the Rose Garden in 40 minutes. He won’t announce a successor.
- AP story
- A round-up of Townhall speculation from the past week.
- Frist’s floor tribute to O’Connor.
- The retirement is personal for the Volokh Conspiracy. Free Sasha!
- Ankle Biting Pundits ready for an “orgy of hate” on the Left.
- Kossacks are worried about Alberto “The Inquisitor” Gonzales.
- Conservatives have been worried about him, too.
- Novak on Gonzales
- Malkin chimes in.
- SCOTUSblog has early reaction and thoughts on the importance of O’Connor’s vote over the years.
- Red State hears from Hill sources that Rehnquist’s leaving, too.
- Polipundit says this is a liberal’s worst nightmare.
- O’Connor O’Thoughts and Tributes at Townhall.
- Ken Mehlman says O’Connor “shattered the glass ceiling.”
- Bench Memos paints the political picture of the nomination process.
Update 7: Ted Kennedy has fighting words. He wants the President to avoid giving the “advise” function of the Senate short shrift, and pick someone who will bring us together. Read: Capitulate, Cowboy!
Update 8: Bush won’t announce a nominee until after he gets back from his G-8 trip on July 8. Looks like some folks may be able to leave town this weekend after all. Maybe? Probably not.
Update 9: I’m heading to the Hill for a strategy meeting on all this business, so I’ve got to run, but before I go:
- Townhall blogger Laura has written a farewell ditty for Sandra to the tune of “Sandra Dee” from “Grease.” Hee hee.
- Confirm Them has a nomination timeline. A confirmation by mid-September? Dare I hope?
- The Townhall homepage has a huge round-up (plug, plug).
- And, a friend e-mails me to say Fox is reporting Bush got O’Connor’s letter at 10:18 a.m. Did we hear before the Pres? I knew Wizbang readers were an influential constituency, but geez…hee hee.
Mary Katharine blogs at the Townhall C-Log, where there is now rampant speculation on O’Connor’s replacement.