The Day the Duke Case Died

Mark today on your calender. The Duke rape case, which has been in persistent vegetative state for months now, has officially flat-lined.

The accuser has changer her story yet again but ironically this time she seals her own fate. In an attempt to make her story more plausible in light of the known facts, she changed her story a bit too conveniently. And then digs herself a deeper hole.

Accuser changes story in lacrosse case

In her latest statement to investigators, the accuser in the Duke lacrosse rape case changed her account again about when the alleged gang rape occurred, who attacked her and how. …

The woman adjusted the timing of the assault to earlier in the evening, a time point preceding the well-documented alibi of one accused player, Reade Seligmann. The defense, however, introduced yet more alibi evidence for Seligmann: he was on the cell phone with his girlfriend during the height of the attack as the accuser now times it. [ooops -ed]

The new version of the events comes from a Dec. 21 interview by Linwood Wilson, chief investigator for Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong. The statement marked the first time anyone from the District Attorney’s office discussed the case with the woman since charges were filed in April. The interview came less than a week after a private laboratory director testified that he and Nifong agreed not to report DNA evidence favorable to the three accused players. …

The statement layers new and contradictory accounts over the woman’s previous statements:

* In her latest statement she said the attack ended at midnight.

In previous accounts, the woman said the gang-rape ended shortly before she left in the car driven by Kim Roberts, the second dancer. Roberts called 911 as she was driving away at 12:53 a.m., according to police records. This new account leaves 50 minutes unaccounted between the end of the rape and the departure from the party.

The new statement runs contrary to time stamped photos of the party, which show the two women dancing between 12:00 and 12:04 a.m. in the living room of the house at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd.

* In the latest statement, the woman says she arrived at the party at 11:10 p.m. on March 13 and that the rape began at 11:40 p.m. Her cell phone records show that she was on phone with her father and others up to one minute before the rape allegedly started.

* The woman now said her alleged assailants used multiple names.

In previous accounts, she said she was assaulted by three men named “Adam”, “Brett” and “Matt.” She has given conflicting descriptions of the three men and contradictory accounts of how they assaulted her.

In the Dec. 21 interview, she said for the first time that the players used multiple names. “Dan, Adam and Brett was used by Dave Evans,” Wilson wrote. “Adam and Matt was also used by Reade Seligmann. She does not remember a name being used for Collin Finnerty or if he was called by a name.”

* The accuser has changed her description of Evans. On April 4, she viewed a photograph of Evans and said it looked like one of her assailants, except that the assailant had a moustache. In the Dec. 21 statement, the woman said the assailant had a five o’clock shadow, not a moustache. Evans has a visible five o’clock shadow in the photograph. [How convenient. ed]

* In her recent statement, the woman said that Evans stood in front of her and made her perform sex on him. In past statements, she said that Seligmann did this.

What a tangled web she has woven.

If Nifong where smart -which he isn’t- he would immediately call a press conference to announce he has dropped the case and blame the whole thing on this new statement saying that he’d like to prosecute the case but considering the witness, he’ll never get a conviction. Which he won’t.

Nobody -except for racists like David Scott Anderson- believes a word this woman says.

Nifong isn’t smart enough to see this as a face-saving opportunity. He’ll go down in a ball of flames. But make no mistake, whatever legs this case still had are gone as of today.

Update: It looks like David Scott Anderson -the biggest racist in the blogosphere- finally admitted he was wrong. He’s still a racist but at least he got something right.

The Democrats' Message to the Troops
Lance Armstrong Is Wrong This Time